Saturday, July 16, 2011

reBel bars

I was sixteen, sweet sixteen when I entered UP. I was very eager to conquer it and all I really cared about is doing good in my classes. By the end of the first sem, I got really high grades and I was, for a moment, victorious. The semester after that, I only had four subjects, lots of free time. I have no idea how it happened but I became a rebel. In some way, UP made me realize there are more great achievements in life rather than good grades and a complete attendance record. College life, particularly in UP, is intoxicating, and as such, most students are vulnerable. 

Once upon a time, I just came from a three-hour long exam. Before the exam, I was so sure I can ace it but apparently, I can not be so sure all the time. The exam ate my ego and to get it back, I hastily agreed to join my friends in a RockBand session KNOWING I have a paper due 12midnight. Yes, many others turn to alcohol,cigarettes,drugs or worse, suicide. I turn to rockband, computer games and, most especially, food. I got home past 12midnight and as it turns out, a lot of my good, influential friends haven't submitted their papers too. I crammed the paper for two hours, e-mailed it and prayed for a bug to mess up yahoo mail's time zones. No bug answered my call and so, my professor, furious of the number of late turnovers, decided to turn to punishment. We were asked to write a paper about procrastination for bonus points. Ironic. I never wrote such a paper for I was too proud.

I was too proud. I write papers with more than ten pages in a matter of hours. I study only a night before the exam. I cut some of my classes(that I deem useless) way more often than I am present in them. Once, I was the straight A's girl, now, just-passing. But what's wrong with that? Over the course of my stay here, I had acquired some things which I believe are much, much more important than uno's in my transcript. I had a family. I learned so much in life that sadly, some people fail to value. 

This post is not to brag about my arrogance and stubbornness. On the contrary, I know very much it isn't something to be proud about. No, the purpose of this is an explanation, not an excuse. I am about to graduate. I was surprised by how much some people(particularly my relatives) are expecting much of me, asking me about my class standing, and all. At first, I was having a good laugh about this but now, it just seems exhausting. 

I may not be the same girl I was back then. My happiness does not depend in my grades anymore. But what the hell, I did what I can do. I attended the classes I'm interested about. The cuts were done for a reason, mostly because I figured there are things worthier of my time than attending that. I study a night before because I know I can pass those exams. I am responsible when I need to be. That should have been enough.

Cheers to all the students having the time of their life. 



No comments: